1. Identify the text you will analyze. Please provide a bibliographic citation. Why did you choose this text?
I choose this text because it brought up very interesting points about the medical community that needed to be addressed. He pointed on one of the major problems in healthcare today which is the large miscommunication between doctors working on a patient as well as the patient's lack of a role. He provided a new way of looking at healthcare.
2. Write a purpose statement that can serve as a guide for your essay. Recall that in an analysis, there is seldom a thesis, but rather a statement that presents the intention and scope of the analysis.
Eric Dishman’s speech, Health Care Should Be a Team Sport, uses strategies such as exemplification, description, and narration to argue that patients need to play a bigger role in their own treatment.
3. The goal of a rhetorical analysis is to take into consideration the purpose, audience, genre, stance, and media/design of the given rhetorical situation. In other words, the analysis explores not only what everything means in the given source (content), but also why the author wrote about it (the purpose), who the author is (background), how the piece was organized (structure), where and/or when it was published (forum), and the intended message conveyed to the audience (topic).
1. Please provide one analytical claim for each of the categories in the description above. (red)
2. For ONE of the claims you make (a) please provide support from the text. (quote) Show how you will substantiate the claim you are making.
Dishmen argues the fact the style of hospitals and clinics are outdated as it hasn’t changed much since.
Purpose- based on the idea that the medical system needs to be updated.
“Humans invented the idea of hospitals and clinics in the 1780s. It is time to update our thinking.”
Dishman uses pathos to argue how people would rather avoid hospital trips. He based this of his own personal experiences.
Audience- hopes that the audience prefers to avoid unnecessary hospital trips.
“because these places are often the wrong tool, and the most expensive tool, for the job.”
He argues that more communication is key between health care providers and their patients
Stance- He believes that the hospitals and doctors need to communicate better with patients and each other.
“I want to use technology that we're all working on and making happen to make health care a coordinated team sport.”
Dishmen states how he believes people need to also rely on themselves when it comes to their health care.
Media/design- Dishmen uses a live video chat with his doctor along with a showing a live image of his own kidney.
“So we're going to actually do a live exam…”
4. Given the fact that you will do more analysis / research, from an initial standpoint, do you think your text makes and presents an effective argument?
Yes I believe that Dishman’s speech makes an effective argument on the current healthcare system that can be supported by other sources.
(1) Dishman, Eric, director. Health Care Should Be a Team Sport. Ted.com, Ted, 2013, www.ted.com/talks/eric_dishman_health_care_should_be_a_team_sport.