Course Offered by Dr Dave in Fall 2015; Fall 2016 and Fall 2017.
Structural properties and applications of the various materials used in civil engineering projects, including steel, cement, mineral aggregates, concrete, timber, and bituminous materials. Microstructure and properties of common metals, plastics, and ceramics.
To develop a basic understanding of the structural properties of Portland cement concrete, asphalt concrete, steel and related civil engineering materials, to learn how to lead as a project manager and work as a team member in obtaining, analyzing, and developing a technical report based on a laboratory experience.
This class is designed to help students gain knowledge on following topics related to infrastructure materials:
- Selection criteria and considerations;
- Behavior to different types of loading and boundary conditions;
- Fundamental and engineering properties of interest and their evaluation through laboratory testing;
- Design of construction materials (Portland cement concrete and asphalt concrete);
- Specifications for acceptance of materials; and
- Insight on sustainability of infrastructure materials.